Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Training Program

I've decided to follow the novice marathon training program laid out by Runner's World magazine contributing editor, Hal Higdon.  I found this training program a couple of years ago when my interest in running a marathon first peaked and I bought Hal Higdon's book, "Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide".

Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide


I'll admit that I've only read sections of the book and I haven't read it cover to cover, but what I have read I've really enjoyed.  Here's the training program I am following- directly from Higdon's book and also published on his website:


Week
Mon
Tue
Wed
Thur
Fri
Sat
Sun
rest3 m run3 m run3 m runrest6
cross
rest3 m run3 m run3 m runrest7
cross
rest3 m run4 m run3 m runrest5
cross
rest3 m run4 m run3 m runrest9
cross
rest3 m run5 m run3 m runrest10
cross
rest3 m run5 m run3 m runrest7
cross
rest3 m run6 m run3 m runrest12
cross
rest3 m run6 m run3 m runrest13
cross
rest3 m run7 m run4 m runrest10
cross
rest3 m run7 m run4 m runrest15
cross
rest4 m run8 m run4 m runrest16
cross
rest4 m run8 m run5 m runrest12
cross
rest4 m run9 m run5 m runrest18
cross
rest5 m run9 m run5 m runrest14
cross
rest5 m run10 m run5 m runrest20
cross
rest5 m run8 m run4 m runrest12
cross
rest4 m run6 m run3 m runrest8
cross
rest3 m run4 m run2 m runrestrest
race


So today was the first 3 mile run of week 2 and it went great!  I got up this morning and got it in before it got too hot outside.  It felt amazing to have that accomplished by 7 am.

I like this training program because it's not too intimidating- the first 2 weeks just have 3 mile runs plus one long run on Saturday, so that's not too bad, and it just gradually moves up from there.  It's hard to believe that week 1 has already gone by- but kicking of that first week of training with Strides For Life was the perfect boost!

Are you following a training program? Which one and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment