Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Fuel Belt

A few days ago I purchased a fuel belt so that I wouldn't get dehydrated during my longer training runs.  I have a history of getting easily dehydrated, so I figured this was a must if I want to complete my marathon goal.  I went to one of the running stores in Grand Rapids (Michigan)- Striders.  There were some belts with 2 bottles and some with 4 and I really had no idea what I needed.  A couple of the employees there were a great help though, and they were able to give me a better idea of what I needed.  They said that two bottles wouldn't be enough for a 20 mile training run, but if I planned my run to go by somewhere where I could refill, the 2 bottles would be enough.  They also suggested I try them on for size and comfort and said to keep in mind that the elastic can stretch out after awhile.  After I scoped out the selection, I decided to go with the Fuel Belt with 4, 8oz. bottles.

FuelBelt 4 Bottle Belt, Medium

I was worried that it would be uncomfortable to run in, but I tried it out for the first time last Saturday during a 7 mile run and it was perfect!  I was so surprised at how comfortable it was!  I really like it.  I have yet to buy new running shoes (I really need some though!), but I think this was a good buy and will really help me get through those longer training runs!

Anyone else use one of these? What brand? How many bottles?  Do you like it?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Savanah,
    So cool that you're training for a marathon! You will love it! I did use one of these belts when I trained for mine. I had a four bottle one. Once you get into the higher miles what you want to do is use two of the bottles for water and two for gatorade. Find out what kind they use in the marathon (they used to use what was called endurance formula) and use that so that you are used to the type/flavor. Also if your's has a pocket use it to store you powergels or whatever you plan on using. You need to make sure to play around with the gels on your training runs because getting the amount and when to take them during the big 26.2 is tricky to get down. Your blood sugar can yoyo so you need to figure out what works for you. Also, another tip no one talks about is the use of bodyglide or just plain vasoline. Once you get into the higher miles you will chafe in areas you never would think of....I'm talking about the backside and the front side for women! Trust me, a lil vasoline in these areas before hand will do you wonders later on! Well, now that I've rambled and been one of those people with all the "tips", I will stop now! Good luck on everything and I look forward to watching your progress!

    ReplyDelete