Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Rules Are Made To Be Broken

When I first started this blog (just a few weeks ago), I had a rule.  I didn’t want anyone to talk to me in person about this marathon business because I was afraid I would fail.  

Well, I’ve already decided to throw that rule out.  

What changed my mind?  Honestly, it had everything to do with the amazing Strides For Life event that I was a part of at the end of my first week of training.  After I ran 23.5 miles in one day during that event, I just knew that my goal of running the 26.2 miles of a marathon was totally attainable.  And I had never felt that way.  I felt like I really wanted to complete this goal, but I didn’t really know if I could.  Running those 23.5 miles at Strides For Life with such amazing and inspirational people gave me the exact boost of confidence I needed.  I didn’t feel like it’s something that I could so easily fail at anymore.  It was the most perfect helping of confidence I ever could have gotten.

So, with that being said, I’m throwing out my rule.  If you do happen to know me in person, feel free to ask me how it’s going.  And I’ll tell you that my 9 mile training run last Saturday was brutal- but I stuck with it and I finished it.  And I’ll tell you that I came thisclose to face planting on the sidewalk during this morning’s 3 mile run because I was distracted by the scenery.  And it will help me be even more accountable to myself to stick with this goal even when it’s not easy to put all those training miles in.

Thanks for all of your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment